© Region Kassel-Land e.V./ P. Blofield
Towering above the Diemel River valley, Trendelburg Castle is located on a steeply rising mountain spur.
In the 13th century, Konrad III of Schöneberg ordered the building of Trendelburg Castle in order to protect the ford over the Diemel River where two important trade routes crossed. Later on, the castle became a joint administrative and jurisdictional court of the diocese at Paderborn and the landgraviate of Hesse. In the following centuries, Trendelburg has seen several bloody battles, during which the castle was attacked and partly seized.
After the administration and jurisdiction had been relocated in the 19th century, the castle lost its previous functions and was redeveloped into a residence by the Adalbert von Stockhausen family in 1901. In 1949, finally, a hotel was established in the well-preserved castle. Today, the castle also houses a restaurant and a civil registry.
The castle courtyard is freely accessible daily from 11:00 am on. Furthermore, themed and castle tours can be arranged upon request.
Apart from an inviting old town, situated in the direct vicinity of the castle, the Town of Trendelburg also offers great cycling and hiking tracks, which are located along the river. In the adjacent Reinhardswald Forest, you may want to visit the natural monument “Wolkenbruch” (“cloudburst”) with two sinkholes.